Acceso a tiempo de observación
A fraction of the observing time at the international observatories located in Chile is reserved for Chilean astronomers. Those who can apply to use this time is explained below. The following rules were discussed and approved by the members present in the 2015 general assembly in Puerto Varas.
Eligible principal investigators (PIs) are the following individuals:
For the purpose of applying for the reserved Chilean time at international observatories installed in Chile, eligible principal investigators (PIs) are the following individuals:
- Chilean astronomers: For the purpose of applying for observing time at the international observatories located in Chile, a Chilean astronomer is defined as a resident scientist working in a Chilean institution.
- Faculty: As defined by the institution. No restriction.
- Postdoc: Maintain a continuous residence for at least 9 months after the call for proposals.
- Visitor: As postdoc plus a co-PI faculty.
- Grads: A Chilean graduate student is defined as a student enrolled in a local graduate program. The student must attach to the proposal a letter from his/her supervisor (holding the status of Chilean astronomer).
If the PI will no longer be working in Chile at the time the requested observations are allocated, she/he may still be eligible for the semester following her/his departure, only in the case of proposals clearly demonstrating the need to be completed during such semester and the participation of a Chilean co-investigator in the project.