The Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) is the world’s preeminent facility for millimeter and submillimeter-wave astronomy with transformational capabilities to study the origin of galaxies, stars and planets. ALMA consists of 66 antennas located on the Chajnantor plateau, 5000 meters altitude in northern Chile, and equipped with receivers covering atmospheric windows between 30 and 950 GHz. ALMA is a partnership of ESO (representing its member states), NSF (USA) and NINS (Japan), together with NRC (Canada), MOST and ASIAA (Taiwan), and KASI (Republic of Korea), in cooperation with the Republic of Chile.
ESO, NSF and NINS have each designated an Executive (ESO, AUI/NRAO and NAOJ, respectively), as their legal representatives, to carry out and manage tasks and responsibilities on their behalf. The Joint ALMA Observatory (JAO) in Chile, staffed by the Executives and headed by the ALMA Director, provides the unified management and leadership of ALMA operations and development. The ALMA Board, responsible for governance and oversight and consisting of members representing the parties, Executives and astronomy community, invites applications for the position of ALMA Director. The successful applicant will be expected to take up the post on 1 April 2018, when the current ALMA Director completes his term.
The responsibilities of the ALMA Director include:
• Direct the JAO, leading and managing operations in Chile, and working with and coordinating the Executives’ off-site operations activities
• Prepare and execute an annual budget and long-range plan
• Participate in the promotion of ALMA and its science program
• Report to, and implement the decisions of, the ALMA Board
• Chair the Director’s Council, consisting of representatives of the Executives
• Allocate observing time
• Develop and maintain the vision and overall direction of the ALMA development program
• Extensive management experience at a senior level with a proven record of scientific leadership
• Strong awareness of the major areas of research and future developments in astronomy, emphasizing millimeter and submillimeter wavelengths
• Ability to communicate the scientific vision of the ALMA project to the various funding agencies and to the scientific community
• Sensitivity to the diverse cultures of the partners, with demonstrated excellent negotiation and influencing skills to take account of stakeholder concerns and interests and to promote contact and collaboration with key international partners
• Ability to lead by influence rather than using direct line management authority
• Capable of leading, supervising, coordinating and evaluating staff from diverse cultural backgrounds, while promoting a good team spirit
• Demonstrated flexibility to adapt quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements
• Excellent command of the English language is required; knowledge of Spanish is an asset.
The ALMA Director will be employed by either ESO or AUI/NRAO or NAOJ. Each of these organizations offers attractive remuneration packages including a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and financial support in relocating families. The duty station is Santiago, Chile, and frequent travel to the ALMA observatory sites, other locations within Chile, and internationally is required. The Director must be able to function at the altitudes of the observatory and support facility sites (5000-m and 3000-m respectively).
ESO, AUI/NRAO, and NAOJ are Equal Opportunity Employers. The post is equally open to suitably qualified female and male applicants.
All materials submitted electronically by 31st March 2017 will receive full consideration.
24.10.2016. Los resultados del llamado a concurso del fondo para el desarrollo de la astronomía, año 2016.
|PROPOSALS TO THE JOINT COMMITTEE YEAR 2016|
|Proposals to be funded|
|Fundación Tiempos Nuevos||V. Vera||Espacio Universo, la nueva exhibición de astronomía del mim||20,000,000|
|Universidad de Chile||J. Maza||Talleres de astronomía||12,000,000|
|Universidad Católica del Norte||M. Moyano||Un Nuevo Planetario para la Difusión de la Astronomía en la UCN||9,300,000|
|Instituto Milenio de Astrofísica MAS||F. Urrutia-Viscarra||Astroclub||9,384,000|
|Universidad de Antofagasta||E. Unda-Sanzana||Proyectando la investigación astronómica en la Universidad de Antofagasta||45,000,000|
|Universidad de Valparaíso||J. Villanueva||Consolidating the stellar multiplicity group in Valparaiso: tenure position.||40,000,000|
|Universidad Nacional Andrés Bello||L. Monaco||Investigating the nature of lithium rich stars||40,000,000|
|Universidad de Chile||J. Jenkins||Enhancing the Postdoctoral Program at Universidad de Chile||40,000,000|
|Universidad de Atacama||M. Barbieri||Direct imaging and characterization of exoplanets||40,000,000|
|Universidad Católica del Norte||K. Ohnaka||Spatially resolving the inner wind region of stars in late evolutionary stages with VLT and VLTI||40,000,000|
|Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile||L. Vanzi||Astronomical Instrumentation Program at the Center of Astro Engineering UC||4,000,000|
|Universidad de Chile||E. Michael||Complementing support for the execution of a complex astronomical instrumentation project for infrared interferometry||30,000,000|
|Universidad de Chile||P. Rojo||Astrobiology 2017, Official Meeting of the IAUâ€™s commission F3.||10,000,000|
|SOCHIAS||P. Rojo||Chilean representation to the Astronomy & Astrophysics (A&A)||1,700,000|
|SOCHIAS||F. Char||Modelo sustentable de la Oficina Nacional de Coordinación del Nodo Andino de Astronomía||4,000,000|
|Total amount funded||345,384,000|
|Total amount available||336,700,000|
20.09.2016. Estimados Socios y Socias,
Por encargo de CASSACA enviamos ahora el llamado a propuestas de financiamiento para proyectos conjuntos China-Chile, tal como se hizo el año pasado. Nótese que este llamado es independiente de la solicitud de proyectos para investigadores postdoctorales enviado hace unos minutos.
20.09.2016. Estimados Socios y Socias,
Por encargo de CASSACA, adjunto podrán encontrar el llamado para inscribir potenciales proyectos para postdocs postulando al concurso China-Chile. Este nuevo llamado a posiciones postdoctorales se abrirá alrededor del 1 de Octubre, con plazo de postulación hasta el 31 de Octubre.
19.09.2016. The Astronomy Group of the Physics and Astronomy Department at the Universidad de La Serena, Chile, announces three professor positions in Astronomy and Astrophysics, which are open to researchers in all areas of Astronomy.